Saturday, November 14, 2009

On being a daughter approaching the marriageable age….

For some odd reason or another, relationships & human emotions always perplex me & yet at the same time, they overwhelm, excite and fascinate me, especially on the feminine side of the coin. I am 23 now & as per the Indian family calendar, am approaching the marriage podium soon… (All according to my parents and next of kin by the way)

My haven nowadays is abuzz with talks & whispers of how to get our eldest daughter and that’s me, betrothed. Gossips are in full throttle these days and nights with my parents crouching on the sofa sets and discussing things like, how to find suitable matches for their pyari daughter, finding all long lost relatives and checking if they have any good ladka in mindd…, “Kis relative ko kitne gifts dene hain “, “Beti kya pehnegi shaadi par”, etc etc & etc. I mean, come on. I’m still in my salad days & here all the tables are set and my mom is already day-dreaming about her future damaaad ji and how she would try( hardly) to be a purrfect saas to my hubby-to-be. Not that I’m complaining….but hum toh abhi bacche hain…

Just yesterday, I, my bro and my mum were getting back from our daily dose of outings, when my dear, tall brother opened his not-so-good mouth of words,

“Why don’t you give more attention in learning how to cook for the soul rather than blasting your ears with music from your dim-witted black mobile”.

My standard answer to his not-so-heeded advice being,

“Jab time aayega toh seekh jayungi”…

Kaboommm…that dialogue I uttered and my dear, coherent mother popped in and articulated,

“Haan haan, jab time aayega…tab saas kahegi, ma-baap ne kuch sikhaya nahi, bas bhejjj diyaaaa”…

Oh!! For the tantrums of the sasuraal have now etched out such a picture of it in my mind that my saas-ka-ghar looks to me like I am trapped inside a typical senile asylum…

My college mates too... have absolutely no other topic of interest other than mouthing just this one sentence to one another:

Oh, did you know that cunning girl of our class got married. She indeed has a chikna husband. By the way, when are you catching up with the marriage fever”, She asked me…


When I told her I would tie the knot in another 2 or 3 years time or when lord wills…this is what she gaspingly tells me…

“Oh shoottt! How can you wait so long for your suhaag-raat??”

Little does the 5”4’ friend of mine know that she is indeed like a stupid child who doesn’t understand the fact that the suhaag-raat is the only raat of pleasure, rest all is like sitting on another man’s treasure….

The height of being married comes from the incident that my ex-class mate was so happy about his RECENT (take note: recent it was) marriage that his MSN display name is as follows: “hey ppl, me got married”…
Oh for Pete’s sake…how come you are alive then…

Even my college sports professor, who is an Iraqi national, recently talked me into the topic of marriage, all of a sudden...

“Wadh habben honey, you not getting married or you find nobody”

To which, I blushingly replied,

“No sir, im still single”

“Oh honey, your fadher is hiding you from all the boys haan”.


How I wish I could imitate that distorted English-language accent…

I’m so engulfed in this circle of marriage that I feel like humming a song, I wrote…

Everywhere I look,
Everywhere I glance,
There are boys all waiting for me,
To embrace a chance...

Marriage isn’t a cake,
Or no strawberry shake,
But still it keeps me pink,
At nights when I wanna take my forty winks...

Alas...Im just 22...
Trying to gain momentum as a lovely lady doo,
But my parents r going blue,
Trying to fix me up with a guy from the far-away igloo…


Help me oh unmarried souls,
For I am just another one of the small foals …
And now I don’t know what to write more,
So, im ending this nerve-wrecking song with an eye-sore….

P.S. – The worst part is that just next month i will be going for a reception party (again connected to marriage)….Hey Bhagwan….

11 comments:

  1. Hard luck Honeybear... in that way i love my parents... i'm 28 and they dnt pressure me at all :)

    But look i believe that all things happen in time... honestly a couple months ago marriage was the last thing on my mind... i was soo unwilling to give up all the freedome i enjoy now to settle down... i tried to avoid it like the plague...

    But the truth is that my time has come... i was lucky enough to meet a wonderful girl who is everything i wanted and more... and shockingly enough now i'm looking forward to settling down with her... to hell with the freedom... those days are behind me now... its time to start a new chapter in my life...

    What i'm trying to say is... when its time for u to start ur own chapter... it will happen... so good luck... till then enjoy these carefree days :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not against marriage too sammy... its jus a phase thts goin on.. and so i captured it in my words.. :)
    btw when r u gettn hitched???

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way u express ur feelings in words...and its also amazing how openly u speak ur heart out !

    i know how ur parents are...and its very normal for them to be like that coming from the background of such families itself. can't blame them for that babe....its just the way the cookie crumbles !

    life has taken u through so much.....then all that experience of yours will take you through more than that...don't worry ! and talkin about suhaag raat n stuff.....i know its a huge thing....but believe me.....this huge thing....should be....with the perfect person....who connects with you even at your soul !

    evrything said n done....wot has to happen will happen.....i've always seen u as a career oriented girl....n the reason i connect to u well at times....is due to the fact that u work on similar lines of mine...."when you don't like a path....make your own" .... as against many people's belief of 'let happen whats happening' !

    have faith in urself....n the un-deniable fact is....when time comes....you will know and learn ! =) totally behind you.....but just make sure you don't hurt them (mom n dad) in ur change of path....they too have given u life n air.....find a path...that co-incides with theirs....where happiness is mutually available !

    and i know its not that u r totally against it.....its just hard to digest....! specially when its being put on u as a pressure and the scary talks are way too scary !

    all i can say is....hold on ! find a way.....n refer to the points stated above if any confusion has been initiated !

    if confusion prevails further, even after referring to the above mentioned solution - do not hesitate to initiate further detailed dialogue with me =) !

    God Bless

    P.S. - Honey....'22'.....really? or just to rhyme it with 'doo'? could have rhymed sumthin like "23.....a tree" ! =D

    Peace

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alas...Im just 22...
    Trying to gain momentum as a lovely lady doo,
    But my parents r going blue,
    Trying to fix me up with a guy from the "commercialized zoo"
    little would they know that he is who...
    a diamond, a stone....or just a deja vu !

    =D (no intentions to make humor....its a feeling at heart added on)

    Peace

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the rhymes..Aman, I like U. :))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yumna..people of your nature are scarce and few...
    to meet people like you....we are ready to stand in a queue...
    when i hear you...i remember the morning dew...
    and thats when the sun comes out..turning the sky blue !

    ReplyDelete
  7. guys.... stp ur flirtin here... lol... pls do tht on FB...

    ReplyDelete
  8. kya flirting yaar.....jus havin fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally agree wid u....ppl becm so despicable n irritatin at times....whn all u cn do is jst smile it off..alas its sumthin we cnt avoid 4eva...da bitter truth eh?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Madhu Kumari....wat to say...cant stop myself frm laughing..feeling sorry for u.. ;) but guess, dis is d irony of every Indian gal...but hav to say this is a very nicely crafted story...The Best Work of ur's till date....and oh! yes gud luck for the nxt month's reception party...hope u cum out safely from der..Keep Writing!!! God Bless You..

    ReplyDelete
  11. absolutely nidhi... sometimes it just gets on ur head....

    @Rounak - thnks yaarrr

    ReplyDelete